Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"Energy Bliss" for Kaleidoscope 2.3.1

Well, one of the things I always loved about using the Macintosh back in the late 1990's was when we had this little shareware utility called "Kaleidoscope", which allows for Mac users to alter their Mac OS's appearance on so many levels: window styles, custom icons, custom cursors/pointers, transluscent menus complete with dropshadows, and even the ability to incorporate one's own custom WindowShade sounds!

Alas that I have just gotten into creating Kaleidoscope color schemes only 4 years after Mac OS X came out and 5 years after Steve Jobs hammered the final nail in Mac OS 9.x's coffin. :(

Oh well, this little color scheme which I named "Energy Bliss" is my first and most recent attempt at making anything for Kaleidoscope. It's my own 'weird' blend of the Windows XP Media Centre visual style... plus a few icons from the upcoming Windows Vista operating system. Not bad for a first try huh? Well, it's still not complete..... but maybe some day when I get the strength and motivation to work on it again, I may finish it just yet! But until then, I leave it up to you, the guy or girl who's going to download this thing. That's right... I'm letting -YOU- modify my color scheme to however you want it to look or behave!

I recently decided to just make a permanent home for hosting this little color scheme and found FileFront.com to be a pretty decent place to do it. So, below are some pics of the scheme in action. The first one is of a previous build..... the second one is of version 0.6.5 beta.




Download (and enjoy!): Energy Bliss 0.6.5 beta
WARNING: This file is intended for use on an actual working Mac OS 8.5.x-9.x. I have absolutely no idea how this color scheme will work under Mac OS X's "Classic" environment..... nor if it will work at all (since i don't use Mac OS X). Also, if you use the Macintosh emulator "SheepShaver", there's a noticeable bug that doesn't allow for Kaleidoscope to correctly draw the included custom Hard Disk Drive icon(s).