Tuesday, December 12, 2006

WaMCom....

So I finally decided to try my hands on another browser for Mac OS 8.6-9.x: WaMCom.

I must say that after having tried MSiE 5.x and iCab 2.x-3.x on the Mac and MSiE 6.x and Firefox 1.5.x-2.x on VirtualPC on my 6100, WaMCom really seems to be the best in terms of compatibility with most of the websites out there today.

I mean, I tried the following websites and ALL of them worked properly in WaMCom:

AOL.com
maps.google.com
www.google.com
forums.macnn.com
www.northbeachpizza.com

.....and a bunch of other sites as well. (yes, I even managed to make an order for pizza online for dinner!)

I just have to say that WaMCom is amazing.

But it does have its weaknesses......... just because it's running under OS 9.x. No full Unicode support (at least, not with certain Unicode characters that were typed from MS Windows), streaming Flash movies don't show video stream (YouTube, MySpace, etc.), skinned interface elements seemed to slow down my machine more than it should've, scrolling is -SLOW!!!!-, and memory usage (after checking with the "About This Macintosh" window) appears to show that WaMCom just ended up hogging most of my free RAM.

While the programmer(s) who compiled this browser suggests that WaMCom 1.3.x is less secure than the later versions of Mozilla (which this browser is based off of), I still find this browser suitable for my basic browsing needs.